Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reflection of the module

It would be hard to choose something that impressed me in this module, as almost each and every single lesson is an eye-opener for me. This module provides me the platform to view math in a different perspective. Whenever I encounter anything that had to do with mathematics, the 4Ms always pop up in my mind “Math Makes Me Mad!”

The first lesson that we had was a turning point for me, having go through the desired outcomes or objectives of mathematics in our curriculum framework really “wow” me. Follow by the various friends that we introduced throughout the lesson, Jerome Bruner is one of the many friends which I will remember. His CPA approach is something that I could use in many other subjects apart from mathematics.

One other important thing that I will take with me when I plan math lessons for my K2 students is the three big ideas

1) Visualization
2) Number Sense
3) Pattern

Having gone through the lessons with Dr Yeap, highlighted to me that math does not always makes me mad, in fact, it could be something magical. It really depends on how creative the teacher who delivers the lesson is. It is a very thin line between math that drives people mad and math that are magical. It is the teachers' choice if they want their students to grow up thinking that math makes them mad or math is magical.

To all the mathematics teachers out there, take your pick now!

No comments:

Post a Comment