Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reflection of environmental task

I felt that problem solving is a skill which must be acquired since that day that we are born. Personally I felt that problem solving cannot be taught, it is a skill that gets better as we practice and grows. When told that we would be allocated some time to conduct a lesson study, I was overjoyed as I love learning outside the classroom.

My group has chosen to embark on the concept of measurement using non-standard units and our targeted age group of children is 6 years old. The venue that we will be choosing will be the Singapore Arts Museum. It was fun anticipating what the children would ask during the visit.

Prior to the visit of the museum, children will exposed to various learning experiences to measure objects such as white board, tables, chairs, book, etc in class with string, paper clips, wooden chopstick and so on.

Teacher will bring the children to the Singapore Arts Museum or any other location where the children could explore with non-standard measurement with the use of any materials that they could find at the venue. Teacher could prompt the children to use their body parts to measure as well.

Do visit the following link to read more on Polya’s model. =)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17099989/Polya-Model-strategic-problem-solving

It was fun to have a lesson study like this; I had never thought doing it prior to this module. After the great experience from this lesson, I would definitely introduce lesson study to my fellow colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. A site full of maths that is anything but boring. help me with math Interesting statements and facts are included, as well as a guestbook.

    ReplyDelete